Wednesday, July 6, 2011

All in one day.


driving from Burlington south on 89

Yep first day in Burlington and I was off to meet up with Alyson in Norwich, Vermont.  We literally met on the border of Vermont and New Hampshire which is defined by the Connecticut River.  It is about 1 1/2 hours for me and about 2 hours for her from Boston.  She had the day off so we planned to meet for a "girls day".  We began at King Arthur Flour to start our day, located just off  highway 89 on Route 5 in Norwich.  If you read recipes from my http://cmglrecipes.blogspot.com/ you already know how much I like King Arthur products.  I have wanted to get there for some classes but couldn't fit that in this trip......someday.  We got a cup of coffee and a snack, did some shopping there being fully amazed at the selection of products for baking. It is a bakers dream spot, I left inspired and definitely want to get back for some classes.

The kitchen area is used for demonstrations.



mini cart-adorable 


Cafe area with fresh baked items & coffee/tea
-----we enjoyed ours outside at a picnic table on a
beautiful day.

We left here and headed a short distance to Quechee, Vermont to visit Simon Pearce Glass making and Restaurant.  Located in a beautifully restored mill on the Ottauquechee River, you can shop, watch the glass blowing, and dine overlooking the waterfalls.  I have a fascination with glass making I can't explain it.  I am not sure where it comes from but I will stop wherever we are if there is a glass/crystal spot.  So this was another highlight of our day for me.  Such an amazing setting with the building jutting out over the water, the porch dining area is screened in so you can hear the roar of the water below.  The restaurant was the perfect spot for our "girls day" lunch.


Started with drink of the day "Strawberry Fizz"
Brown Bread & Small Scones

Vermont Cheddar Soup & Spring Salad with Goat Cheese


The meal was so good I planned a return visit for Friday when Jim and I would be driving through on our way to Boston.  The service is excellent, a calm atmosphere, amazing views, and the food to go with it all.

The Glass Studio


The Hydroelectric generator in the basement of the mill.




 After a walk through the store filled with hand blown glass we went on our way.  Next up we parked the car and walked along the Quechee Gorge and took some photos from the bridge.









A very full but fun day we both started our drives back.  I headed back up to Burlington, at the Stowe Mountain exit got off to get gas, seeing a sign across from me for the "Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory" I didn't hesitate to stop there for a quick tour with a sample.....yum!






A really full first day in Vermont.......but I saved some fun for tomorrow......





No comments:

Post a Comment